How to use "Cancel Motion Sensor Actions"

Some users have wondered what the action “cancel motion sensor actions” really does. You find this action in the configuration of a switch like the Hue Dimmer Switch.

The action “cancel motion sensor actions” is intended for those situations when you want to temporarily suppress a motion response when there is no movement. In other words so that the lights do not switch off when you walk away from the location of this motion sensor.

Here is an example to explain this further:

Suppose you have a bathroom with a glass shower room inside. A motion sensor does not respond through glass. When you are in the shower, there is no movement for the motion sensor, and the motion sensor will respond to no-motion actions. Those are the actions on the no-motion tab.

When you walk into the shower you do not want the lights to switch off as long as you stay in there. So you program the button of, for example, a hue dimmer switch with the action “cancel motion sensor actions”. When you press that button, the motion sensor will not switch off the lights because the action has been canceled by your button press.

When you stay in the room with the motion sensor in it (so in the bathroom), it will detect movement again and therefore will start carrying out actions again. Walking away from the shower or walking out of the bathroom immediately results in no further actions and the light will stay on.

Hello Hue essentials team,

This is a really great feature! One thing is not clear to me: from which moment will the motion sensor response again after you press the button (which is programmed to cancel motion actions) on your switch? After a couple of minutes? Or when you press the off-button on your switch?

Greetings, Jac

The motion sensor will respond again when the lights are switched off manually. So that is when you press the off button on a switch.

Hi,

I’m fairly new to this app but I already feel it is much more user friendly than the HUE labs.
I do have question concerning the sensor.

I created a timeslot between 11 PM and 7 AM
Motion => turn on lights “nightlight”
No-motion => turns of lights after 2 minutes.

Say I am looking for something during this timeslot and I turn lights on with a brighter setting.
All good and well but when motion is detected it switches back to “nightlight”.
Is it possible to temporarily disable the sensor while remaining in the room with the motion detector?
Maybe a “timed” disable or “until activated again” action is performed.

Is there a way to get this implemented?

Br,
Jorge