How to connect IKEA TRÅDFRI smart controls to a Philips Hue bridge?

Thanks @P80uk
Worked like a charm!

You’re a lifesaver - I was about ready to return my new TRÅDFRI bulbs and the ON/OFF switches I just bought.

Before discovering your post I did push ‘search’ while trying to setup two TRÅDFRI bulbs following the original guide and video.
I haven’t yet been able to get those to talk to me again (like, at all - at this point they’re just really expensive normal LED bulbs).
When I try to re-add them using touchlink through Hue Essentiels they blink and go bright - and then nothing in the way of responsiveness.

Have you by any chance also discovered a method of reviving TRÅDFRI bulbs from their zombie like state?!

I don’t own any tradfri bulbs, just hue. I think you can reset tradfri by on/off 6x and light should flash.
Wether this only works if connected to a tradfri bridge I don’t know- worth a try.

“ 1. Have the light ON
2. Switch it OFF and back ON 6 times (in total, the light will be ON again 6 times without counting the initial ON state)
3. Wait in the 6th ON state, the bulb should increase brightness intensity to confirm reset
4. If the light didn’t confirm reset, try to leave the bulb ON less than a second, and OFF longer. The timing of ON/OFF states may matter for some firmware versions;”

@P80uk
Thanks.

Sorry for being a bit unclear.
I’m actually able to reset them - but then, absolutely no luck getting them back on my Hue bridge afterwards. I think I’ve tried about 80 times by now.

Thank you for the constructive reply anyway :slight_smile: :+1:

@TheRealBamse, Can you show me the steps you are doing and what app, I’ll try and help- I just don’t own tradfri bulbs.

I know for sure that when I have tried to pair a tradfri remote to hue bulb the whole sequence worked a whole lot better when you physically break the electrical supply to the light .ie possibly fuse board light circuit if you have no physical switch to cut power.
Also- if you have a table lamp or floor lamp that’s near your hue hub, place each bulb in that (close to hun and use Philips hue app to search.

Let me know how you get on and steps you try.

1 Like

Resolved here was my issue:

I noticed that not searching for new light is the key. I have 3 hue color bulbs and one ikea trådri led driver. I was able to add ikea dimmer buttons for 2 bulbs and led driver and had all working together in hue app. A couple of months later when adding the 3rd bulb the others stopped working with the buttons or was not in the hue app… So tried doing it all over again. But when coming to 3rd or 4th the others stopped working with the button or where unreachable in hue app. I am wondering is there a limit? Any one have a solution or similar issues?

Resolution:
1.All the hue lights and drivers needs to be added first.
2. Then turn on all lights so they are on.
3. Then cut the power to all so they are not able to receive any commands or pairing.
4. Reset all the buttons so they don’t flash, it takes longer than 10 sec as in instructions. About 1min.
5. When that is done pair the first button as in instructions.
6. Turn back the power to the first light/driver you want to pair with the button. Important that all others have no power on. And don’t search lights EVER, as you already have added them all.
7. When you have successfully paired it turn off the power as well to that one.
8.then proceed with next one, and do the same steps again step 5-7.

The key is to add one at the time and all the others needs to be powered of so they aren’t having any electricity. So one att the time… When you have added all then you can power on all the lights or drivers with electricity.

Hope you understand :slight_smile:

I tried many thanks, and it didn’t work. But I was using another third party app, for Touchlink. I could connect the Tradfri Dimmer to my Hue Ledstrip, but would lose control via the HUE switch.

Finally, I stopped being cheap, and bought Hue Essentials Premium, and tried the procedure again, now Touchlink again via the Essentials app. It worked the first attempt. Nice!

1 Like

Your method worked for my IKEA tradfri outlets too. Didn’t even need to use Touchlink to connect them - simply reset each outlet, and the Hue app picked them up. Then I followed your instructions exactly to pair on/off switches to each outlet, worked perfectly!

Since few days the 2 buttons of Ikea Tradfri smart controls to set the color mode of your lights (cold white to warm white as an example) are not working anymore when the smart controls is connected to Philips Hue Bridge. In standalone mode (not connected to the bridge) the 2 buttons of the smart control are working well. Is somebody confirm this behavior? Do you have any workaround to propose to get this feature back? Thanks in advance for your advises.

1 Like

Hi…
This is my first time looking for the exact same problem.
I can confirm the color temp button don’t work. But only on my newest remote E1810.
The old E1524 still work.

Hey Guys
I got quite the same problem.
I can’t Connect my Tradfri Bulbs to my Hue Bridge…

I just bought my first Philips Hue Bridge (Model: 324131201801) and four of the new color changing Tradfri Gu10 LEDs (LED1923R5).
I’m a newby to smart home bulbs and to the Philips Hue System aswell.
So after connecting to the Hue Bridge with the Philips Hue App and after pressing “Search” for new lights, none of the bulbs would show up even tho I resetted them by turning them on and off 6 times and them beeing touched by the Hue Bridge (distance smaller than 10 cm to all 4).
I also tried it with only one bulb installed.
Also resetted the Hue Bridge and tried again.
Even tried it with the iConnectedHue App on iOS and it’s Touchlink Feature.
None of the above listed worked for me.
I’m quite frustrated right now and im not quite sure what to do now.
Anyone got any help/advise?

Please see the following topic on how to do this in Hue Essentials: How to connect IKEA TRÅDFRI lights to a Philips Hue bridge?

I want to use my Ikea Trådfri control (2021 version, the small square one without color temp control) to turn a Philips hue smart plug that is already on my hub on and off. I have watched the video and tried the instructions 4-5 times and it work fine and as expected to add the Ikea control but when I pair the control with the hue smart plug in step 6 there is no effect on the lights and no lights are found in step 7.
Can an Ikea Trådfri control not be paired with a Philips hue smart plug using Hie Essentials?

I’m trying to set up a couple of the square Tradfri dimmers. One has worked perfectly and is controlling 2 Tradfri bulbs which are also controllable from Hue. With the other I’m trying to control a mixture of Tradfri/Hue bulbs, but I can’t get the Hue bulbs to respond to the dimmer at all. It’s paired to the bridge and to the Tradfri bulb, and this bulb is controllable by both the Hue app and the Tradfri button. When I try to pair the dimmer with the Hue bulbs, hold it close and hold down the button, literally nothing happens. I’ve tried countless times, resetting the dimmer, trying the Hue bulbs before or after the Tradfri, nothing. The only thing I can think of is that the Hue bulbs are older, from about 2017. Is it possible that some Hue bulbs just won’t work with Tradfri dimmers?

And the solution to my problem was… to remember to power the Hue bulbs off then on again before trying to link the dimmer to them. It’s not required with the Tradfri ones but is for Hue.

And I suffer from this, maybe someone can help us with a solution

For those that are trying this using the new app, I was able to get the Tradfi Dimmer to pair and operate HUE bulbs using the instructions as above however given the new app, some slight tweaks outlind below.

1. For Step 3, add an accesory, I selected a Friends of Hue Switch under Add Accecories
  2. I used Vimar Friends of Hue Switch (it worked; dont know if just luck or not)
  3. After getting the lights to blink, I went to the lights section and selected a light rather than “search for lights” as outlined in step 7. I had two lights bulbs in the light it worked for both. the ‘search for’ did not.

The one thing that isn’t working right now is the < and > buttons. It woudl be great if I couldget them to cycle through a few scenes but I am probably asking for too much.

Hi!

Could you go over the whole process step by step? Did you use the Hue app, since I don’t see a way to select a specific Hue Friends switch in Hue essentials.

I have been trying to get the STYRBAR Remote working, but alas it always nukes the bulb’s connection to the bridge :exploding_head:

I’m using all hue bulbs, but would love to be able to use the stainless steel STYRBAR as a light switch instead of the plastic hue one, but alas, no luck this far. :weary:

Anyone managed to get the STYRBAR Remote working? It behaves differently than the Tradfri Remote, i.e. when resetting, the red light flashes for a few seconds then turns off for approximately 10 seconds, THEN turns solid red for about one minute. When / how should I attempt pairing it with the Hue Bridge? No matter how I tried so far, the last step in the walkthrough - Search for lights - yields no results.

A year-plus on and the Trådfri dimmer battery has died; after a battery swap, Hue, Alexa, SmartThings and Hubitat no longer see or control the Trådfri driver to which the dimmer was paired (the dimmer controls the driver just fine).

I’d like to thank @P80uk Phil again for the simple and effective instructions that enabled me to get it working again in less than a minute — it took longer to get downstairs to the Hue bridge than to do the re-pairing with Touchlink!

Cheers mate!

I only recently got the Trådfri bridge, trying to resolve the battery issue with the push button switch and dimmers (batteries dying within hours or just a few days when paired with SmartThings). I can confirm the Trådfri bulb reset works just fine without the bridge.