How to connect IKEA TRÅDFRI smart controls to a Philips Hue bridge?

I managed to get one and only one Styrbar working with the system. If you add a 2nd Styrbar, the first one loses it’s functions.
The process is almost the same as the old remote as shown in this video from Hue Essentials: How to pair TRÅDFRI Remote Control to Philips Hue Bridge

The only thing different is the reset of the switch. It’s still 4 pushes to reset, but then the light goes off and comes back solid within seconds. THEN you should press and hold while tapping the touchlink on the HueEssentials app. (for me in setting up 3 Styrbars, the light always went off after 3 pushes… but that might be a timing thing as well)

For Qinty. Make sure you delete the light from the Essentials app, otherwise it will not yield any results in - Search for lights)

As said earlier, only the last touchlinked Styrbar will be working. It always overrides the previous ones, but for that I will post a question.

Hi Qinty, yes I did. I posted this in a different question above. by Zanmato…

I hope the post will be unhidden soon. The system currently flagged it as advertisement.

Just echoing here, have a lot of Trådfri stuff and my Trådfri gateway just died so I got a Hue one. Tried the Trådfri dimmer and motion sensor and the controller never ever gets detected using the Touchlink process while the bulbs are either controlled by the Trådfri hardware or the Hue bridge but NEVER both. It’s like whatever you pair with last removes the previous controller, no exceptions.

I only have a smart ceiling lamp from Ikea and the Styrbar. Do I also need the driver from Ikea to pair the Styrbar with Hue?

I bough premium, but I am unable to configure Hue bridge with Tradfri lights and switches - as someone stated above: lights work only with bridge or only with switches - something changed? (as I suppose from the description here, it worked before)

1 Like

Sooo, any news here?

Rodret ikea dimmer connection!

But could work for others.

If your struggling to connect your switch watch this video. I must have spent 3 hours last night clicking the pair button on the back of the IKEA RodRet dimmer following the method above,

this video worked first time.

https://youtu.be/VJLXt8xiSD8

note that my dimmer was connected as a light rather than a smart switch as described in the posts method.

My lights never lost connection at any point I just added the dimmer the same way you as a new light. Then paired the dimmer to each of the lights. I did power down each light after connection to the dimmer but that was really only to make sure I was pairing the correct light.

Now the whole living room is on one switch so it’s perfect for when we have guests and we don’t have to tell Them that you’ve got to ask and Amazon product to turn off the lights.

I hope this helps

This magic incantation worked for me with the Hue Essentials Android app, a Hue Bridge, 2 30W Tradfri drivers and a Tradfri Dimmer button.

Starting point: Lights not added to Hue bridge

1. Install Hue Essentials app on Android
  2. In Hue Essentials → Devices → Add → Smart Control → Other, find the Touchlink button. You’ll need it in a second.
  3. Reset Remote (press pairing button 4x in quick succession). Wait 10 seconds until the red LED turns off.
  4. Pair remote with Hue Bridge
    1. Hold pairing button in remote
    2. Tap Touchlink button in Hue Essentials app, keep holding pairing button. The red LED of the remote should turn on. If it doesn’t turn on within a few seconds, let go of the pairing button, then press and hold it again, then tap Touchlink
    3. When LED of the remote turns off, let go of pairing button
  5. Now pair the lights:
    1. Keep the remote within 5cm (2 inches) of the light source (LED driver) and press the pairing button for 10 seconds (located under the remote control lid). A red light will shine on the remote control and, when it’s successfully paired, the light source will dim and flash once.
    2. Repeat this step (5.1) for each other light source that should respond to the same remote
  6. Turn Lights off with the remote
  7. Turn lights on with the remote
  8. In Hue Essentials, tap Search for Lights
    1. Lights should now be paired to the Hue Bridge, but no longer respond to remote
  9. Turn lights off via Hue Essentials app
  10. Turn lights on via Hue Essentials app
  11. Pair remote with Hue Bridge (again!)
    1. Hold pairing button in remote
    2. Tap Touchlink button in Hue Essentials app, keep holding pairing button. The red LED of the remote should turn on. If it doesn’t turn on within a few seconds, let go of the pairing button, then press and hold it again, then tap Touchlink
    3. When LED of the remote turns off, let go of pairing button

Doesn’t work for me nether

By repairing an Ikea control to bridge it is possible to omit “search for lamp” steps if the lamp is still connected to the Hue bridge.

Hello, is it also possible to connect the Tradfri Smartplug (instead of the Tradfri light) to the Hue bridge AND to the smart control.
I tried this but the Smartplug disappears from the Hue bridge after connecting again to the smart control.