How to connect IKEA TRÅDFRI smart controls to a Philips Hue bridge?

This solution didn’t work for me. The on/off and dimming buttons are working, but no luck with left/right scene selection. BTW, I have INNR light bulbs, which are officially compatible with HUE. Hub I’m using is a standard (modern) Hue bridge.

I don’t get this part. I followed the youtube explainer to pair through touchlink and then with multiple lamps, that part works. However, I don’t see the remote in neither the Hue or Hue Essentials app. Where is this mentioned wizzard to set up all buttons on Tradfri remote? It’s not mentioned in any Hue Essentials tutorial video.

Hello @jva, the topic you replied to is about the deCONZ gateway, so I moved your post to the Philips Hue topic about the IKEA smart controls.

Third party smart controls are not visible in the app when connected to a Hue bridge, so you cannot configure anything. There is no wizard.

What you could try is removing the battery for 10 seconds and after reinserting it check if the left/right buttons work. If that does not work, there is unfortunately not much we can do about that. Maybe someone else here has a solution for the left/right buttons not working.

I have an older set that I was able to integrate as shown in the video. The switch has a round soft button on the back and has “TYPE: E1524” on the side and the lamp has firmware V1.04.12. I was able to get it connected as documented.

I bought another set a few days ago. The switch is an integrated plastic part but gives good feedback when pressed. It has “TYPE: 1810” on the side. The lamp has firmware V2.0.022. When I reset the switch it starts showing a glowing LED in front after a few seconds and that lasts around a minute. I tried to pair it with the HUE bridge with the glowing light or after, then paired it with the lamp. The bridge was either then able to find the lamp but then the switch wasn’t working any longer or the lamp wasn’t detected.

Hi there,

I could connect the IKEA controller just fine and the controller works too. But when I add the bulb (the app confirms it has found the light) the controller stops to work.

So it’s either the app which is able to control the light or the controller but doesn’t works with both of them. Tried it several times by following the YouTube video and the instructions here. Timing and order is correct.

Yeah I’m having the same problem with a couple of the lights, it’s working fine on one setup i have but no luck on the rest.

A post was split to a new topic: How to connect IKEA TRÅDFRI signal repeater to a Philips Hue bridge?

Same here newest Firmware on Control and Bulbs.
Is there any solution?

Hello same problem. I tryed a lot of times.
When tradifi control is reseted i follow all the tutorial and the aplication found mi lights i can swich on and off from application . But doesnt work any more from the remote control.
If i pair the remote control again with the light, the light can not be controled from app anymore.
So i need to chose. From the app or from the remote control can not use both.
Any solution???

Did you found any solution? I have same problem!

Help and advice by the App creator is needed I think. Sadly they doesn’t seem toncare about paying customers

Hello everyone, thanks for all the feedback.

If you are unable to get both the smart control and light working, please send an email to support@hueessentials.com with a video of how you are connecting them. Please make sure that all steps are visible in the video and also the smart control LED can be seen. When we have received your video, we can take a look at what goes wrong in your situation and we can clarify the instructions more.

I send the video.
Please check it, it is 400mb of video.
Thx a lot.

1 Like

Same, video 19MB shrinked it with whatsapp before

1 Like

Any news about the videos send?

I think my idea with firmware problems was correct.
No matter if the remote or the square switch. Bith have same issues

Just paid for premium and I’m giving up for the night after at least 15 attempts, following the video exactly. Like others, I don’t think the remote is pairing with the Hue bridge at all, then the bulb pairs with the remote and disappears from the Hue bridge and app. Wife is ready to ban all home automation at this point.

Can we get some confirmation that this process using Essentials still works? If not, I’d like a refund please. I already have the Hue app plus a different 3rd party app whose Touchlink doesn’t work; I don’t need yet another one.

TO ALL that are using Just Hue bulbs and trying to pair Tradfri on/off with Hue Essentials app and losing lights in Phillips hue/ Hue Essentials/ Home app. I ONLY have Hue bulbs
Maybe similar issue with android

I use an iPhone so I tried following the instructions to pair the on/off Tradfri remote to the Hue hub, then pair to the light - it worked to a point…The switch would operate my light/s (that i paired it to) but the lights would NO LONGER show in the P.Hue/ H.Ess app OR iOS Home app.

If you have this issue where your lights are disappearing/ unreachable…dont follow all of the instructions by the team. Do as follows;

1. Switch off your light(s).
  2. Reset the smart control. Do this by quickly pressing the :link: button 4 times. Then wait 10 seconds for it to reset.
  3. Open Hue Essentials and go to Devices, tap the + button, tap Smart control, tap Other. This is the screen where you can find touchlink.
  4. Press and hold the :link: button of your smart control near the Hue bridge. Now press Touchlink in Hue Essentials while still holding the :link: button. Release the :link: button when the LED turns off (about 10 seconds). The exact order and timing of these steps is very important!
  5. Switch on a light.
  6. Press and hold the :link: button of your smart control near a light. The light will start flashing. Release the :link: button once the light stops flashing (about 10 seconds).
    DO NOT SEARCH FOR LIGHTS - the lights will remain in the hue app AND paired to the remote

IF you want to add an additional light - for example 2 bulbs are switched with the same switch

JUST turn off/on the light and pair with the next.
THEN step 6

The remote will not show anywhere in any app its not needed as you add more lights like above or reset to remove old and add new.

2 Likes

Thank you for this @P80uk, after following all the previous step-by-steps to the letter, this one worked.

Setup: square Trådfri remote dimmer, Trådfri LED driver with four Strömlinje cabinet lamps, Hue bridge and SmartThings hub, also Alexa. The Ansluta mains cable and switch are hidden away and difficult to access, so I wanted a simple dimmer switch near the lamps for when I don’t need smart or voice control.

The key, apart from timing exactly correctly, is DO NOT SEARCH FOR LIGHT. After completing these steps, the remote worked right away and turned the lamps OFF. I powered off the mains switch and powered back on. The lamps defaulted ON, then after five seconds or so, synced with the app and turned OFF. Now all forms of control work together.

Thank you Phil!

Great to read it can work again. I just bought remotes and bulbs and the app and couldn’t get it to work so submitted for a refund.

Just to clarify, if you ever “search for light” to add another bulb will that break this again?

It will likely break any bulbs (make them unreachable).
So you (if you had hue in my case) add them back to the Phillips hue app- then do the switch, gateway, link to light.

Don’t hold me to that- Just DONT press search

NOTE- the only way I could get my hue bulbs to be found again in the Philips hue app (after failed attempts with hue essentials search) was to enter the serial numbers then search.

1 Like