Sync (Entertainment) on your phone or Android TV

read top of page, clearly states that it does not support HDCP protected content from Netflix. (yet)
continue reading… they are working on it, with several possible ways of doing it.
RTFM before you buy next time.

Hue Box desktop app the same limitation at launch… doesnt now…

1 Like

Hi guys. Just grabbed Hue Essentials sync.

One issue I’m finding is that with 4K HDR 10 bit content (via Plex) I’m getting the movement of the lights, but no colours.

Is this something that can be fixed or a limitation in the software? Just checking so I know whether I need to buy the Hue Sync Box.

Great work giving consumers options though!

I do not read manuals. If I do need to read a manual then I bought something wrong. And I wrote about the limitation in my post. They will never get around the DRM. If there is a way everyone would known about it. Until then, you kiddies can continue to play with your lightning effects on the TV…

Very interesting product. So it looks like you guys are already working on a solution for protected content like the one from Netflix and Amazon. Collaboration isn’t an option? Maybe they come up with a very nice idea. The might can give your specific app the permission to access their content.

And will there also be a solution to activate the sync on external sources like an uhd player?

Thanks,
Ghost

The software works quite well. It would be great if the colors were picked up from the edge rather than the center of the picture. My 3 Playbars work very well on the side, but the top one shows the colors from the middle rather than from the top.

Thanks for your great job.

1 Like

this software is developed by one talented (but young) individual still in school.
Netflix has no reason to collaborate with any one person…

Also the “protected content” is “copyright protected”. Its protected from being scanned / duplicated / read by non protected devices software, ect.

Netflix opening up a way to read the image for this software to get color info would open the ability to copy the content. They would never do that.

1 Like

Did you change the height of your lights in your entertainment area? You can change the height by tapping a light when editing the area. Set the lights above your TV to ceiling height. Let me know if this works for you.

Hmm, not sure about that. You don’t need the whole picture. If they can provide limited access to the borders? They could also make this area indistinct. All I wanna say is that there are ways. The dev ops team could make them an offer. A nice deal. Maybe they accept it. But if there is a better, legal way, then, why not. Netflix could also then implement this feature in their ui. Then you could turn it on and off.

You can teach that young individual (or yourself), that in this world, excuses do not count. Only results.

thats just not how video encoding and hdcp encryption works.
there are ways around it… but its nothing that netflix will provide if they want to keep the licenses to the movies they get to show from other studios.

Hi guys.
When i use youtube and watch a 4K video the picture is nice.
But when i watch with sync enable the picture lagg so fucking much.
Any one have any tips.

Im using a Sony 9000 series tv.

I don’t have any issues with that. Maybe provide more details?

I’m using a Sony X950H (XH95).
Philipps Bridge connected via HUE essentials app
Philipps Gradient Lightstrip connected to the bridge

What’s your setup. I might won’t be able to help you but the dev team needs that information anyway.

And youtube picture + audio is lagging?
What are your settings for sync in the Hue essentials app?

I got brightness on max and intensity on low to get a more smooth effect of ambilight.

Lg from me

Sony 65xf9005
Hue bridge
Philips hue lightstrip 65”

The picture is lagging.

I’m not sure if it will help but for me it has helped to fix some soundbar issues.

Plug off the power cord and w8 a few minutes. This will clear the cache. At least for my Sony devices. It’s a pretty easy trouble shooting. You might give it a try. Maybe it’s the solution or at least a work around ;).

Ah and are you using the beta app or the official playstore app?

Im using the Play store app and payed for premium

Is it only in the Sync mode? Other modes are working properly? Could be possible that the processor of your TV isn’t powerful enough. Don’t have the insights now. You might also wanna lower the intensity and see whether or not the performance is increasing. Higher intensity could cause a higher workload.

Any plans for having simultaneous lifx and hue sync?
I have lifx strip that I want to match the screen, but have several hue bulbs that I’d like to sync with too.

I tried the app but unfortunately it lagged extremely hard. I have an older TV with Google Chromecast attached on it and even without 4k content it was impossible to see a video (was about 0.5 frames per second - all 2 seconds another image). So I refund my payment (unfortunately) as soon as I get a new TV I’ll give it a second try. Really excited for it and I’m looking forward to be able to consume more content with it.

oh… seems like Anubarak was using on their phone, watching and using sync on their phone, chromecast streaming to TV…
yeah, that would lag. not how it was designed to work.
it was designed to be run on the device displaying the image, such as androidTV, nvidia sheild, ect.
not designed for casting from phone.
maybe thats KalleHalvarsson’s problem too.

I just love how people pay for premium before testing that it works for them in the first place, then complain that they paid for premium and are having issues. its why there is a free version to test.

FYI: I have some land for sale in Florida, 50,000$ usd, sight unseen. DM me. lolz

sony does not have a 9000 series TV, they have a 900 series tv or a 9000 series soundbar.

I have a sony 950G AndroidTV. works great.
Hue Essentials installed on TV, play Emby (plex) moives on TV, no lag.

Note: casting from phone is not how it is supposed to work.