Sync (Entertainment) on your phone or Android TV

Philips Hue changed their API in the latest bridge update for the Hue Play Gradient Lightstrip which broke Hue Essentials. I am working on a fix. See for more information: Gradient lightstrip not working anymore

1 Like

Ok but i dont have a hue gradient lightstrip. My scene is compose of 3 e27 bulb and one classic lightstrip. But i wait for your fix and come back to you after. Thanks!

Hi,

Tempted to buy the gradient strip and use this app to sync the lights. My device is an nvidia shield tv and I am using kodi to play my media.

Does this sync with 4k hdr (Dolbyvision) content (I don’t mean drm protected content) in kodi? Also, does mediacodec surface or hardware acceleration have to be disabled? What method is hue essentials using to pull screen data?

Hello,
I have successfully set up Sync with deCONZ and a Nvidia Shield TV. It also works fine with Philips Hue lamps. Now I have added a LIDL Livarno Lux LED Stripe (“modelid”: “HG06104A”). However, the colors are not synchronized with this one. It is only switched on at startup and switched off when exiting. Is it possible that it does not work because the stripe only supports the colormode “xy”, but not “hs”.
Is support for the Stripe even possible or should I rather get the Philips Hue White & Col. Amb. lightstrip instead?
Many thanks!
Steff

Edit:
As an addition: The LED stripe can otherwise be fully controlled in the Hue Essentials app, only the sync of the colors does not work in Entertainment.

1 Like

Thanks @steff75 for letting me know. I was able to reproduce the issue with the LIDL Livarno Lux LED Strip and it will be fixed in the next update. Version 1.22.2 on Android and version 1.16.1 on iOS.

1 Like

@Archimedes there may be some issues with Dolby Vision with Sync. Please let us know your experience here: Dolby Vision support for Sync on Android TV

Note that you need Hue Essentials version 1.22.0 or higher for the gradient strip to work.

@Anthony_Laulom there are some issues with Sync not working with videos on all types of Android TVs. Maybe your TV has the same issue. Do I understand correctly that Sync works in the menus and e.g. home screen of your TV, but as soon as you start a video it stops working?

@Thei_Jöris Hue Essentials is compatible with Android TV, so if you run Kodi on your Android TV it should work.

@DavyBones I still need to make a topic with more details about this, but what I found out that videos do not work well unless you lower the video quality a lot. I tried some simple games from the Play Store and they appeared to work. I am not sure about Stadia, if that works on the Chromecast, it could be that Hue Essentials works with that as well, but I have not tried that. Please let us know your experience.

Is not stoping because if I go back to menu, lights are still sync but yes that is what you describe. On menu lights change but during video nothing happens.

Is it work with Dune MediaPlayers? E.g Dune Real Vision 4K? - that is also an android base media player.

Same problem on sony tv with kodi 4k hdr is lagging,only sdr is working.
And there is no cure for this problem…

Nice but hdr 4k wont run whitout hardware acceleration…

Hello
I have beelink gt king Android tv box
I have hue essentials premium
Philips lights

I can’t sync with videos. In any app (YouTube. Kodi) and also if I watch my own videos, when they start. The light go off

How can I fix it ? Thank you

Starting sync from within the app never fails, but starting sync using a Tasker command most of the time fails to start the sync. The sync never starts and the lightstrip turns off. I have to then manually go to the Hue Essentials app and start sync from there.
Can I check what Hue Essentials is doing in the background when trying to start a sync from a Tasker command?

@Archimedes Sync not working from Tasker is a known issue which has been fixed in version 1.23.0. The update should be available on the Google Play Store now. See also: Starting Sync from Tasker does not work. Please let me know if this update works for you.

2 Likes

Hello Thomas and thanks for this great app.

It works pretty well but I have a strange issue. After I start the sync from within the app, the lights are syncing fine, until a point where they turn bright white, then the sync has stopped by itself without apparent reason. I am on nVidia TV Shield 2019 (tube, non pro). I can start the sync again and works for some minutes until it stops. I have purchased the premium version so its not the demo limitation. Is this something you know about? Thanks again.

Hello again. The change last year had worked, but since a few versions there is a new problem with the LED strip.

Since you changed how to arrange the lamps in the room, the lack of HUE and SAT as parameters is criticized. Lamps that work with XY as a parameter can not be moved and therefore you can not create an area. As I said, last year the creation of an entertainment area still worked (you could see the room in the top view at that time).

Can you please fix this again?
Thank you!

1 Like

Hello @Thomas. In case you haven’t seen my post above this one. The described bug also occurs with the Windows version.

1 Like

Thanks @steff75 for the feedback. It will be fixed in the next update for all platforms, sorry missed your message.

As a workaround, you should be able to ignore the error (it will keep popping up though) and keep moving the light, and you can still save the entertainment area. All should still work fine.

1 Like