Add support for iOS 14 widgets

On iOS 14.2 with Hue Essentials 1.8.2, despite having defined a Quick Action widget and a Temperature widget, when I try to add a Widget on the iOS home screen, Hue Essentials isn’t among the listed apps.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

At the moment Hue Essentials does not support the new iOS 14 widgets. It is on the wish list for future development.

To add the old widgets, you need to scroll further down. I have updated the instructions here: How can I add widgets to my Home screen?

An iOS 14 widget is very high on my wishlist. Having it only be the old widget style pushes it low on my Home Screen by default whereas I’d love it to be in the top couple slots.

Aside from posting here, what is the best way for us users to get this feature on the official wishlist?

New iOS 14 widgets and Siri Shortcuts were added recently in Hue Essentials version 1.17.0. At the moment there is a temperature widget available and you can add Siri Shortcuts widgets for actions like toggling lights or activating scenes.

See for more information: How can I add widgets to my Home screen?

See also how to create Siri Shortcuts (which can be added as widgets on the Home screen): How do I use Siri Shortcuts?

Due to limitations in the new iOS 14 widgets they must open the app when clicked. That would not work very well for action widgets. Widgets through Siri Shortcuts do not open the app. So now you need to use Siri Shortcuts for action widgets.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like