Turn on Hue light when I get a text

Hi, I’m new to Philips Hue. I’m slowly growing my home with more lights. I’m Deaf and I’m using IFTTT to blink my lights when someone rings my doorbell. I’m also looking for a way to turn on lights when I receive a text from a specific person. I read on the web that someone was able to do that with the tasker plugin? It looks like the tasker plugin is an android app, is there a way to do it with an iPhone?

Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick,

On iOS you can use the Shortcuts app to do this.

You can do this under the Automation tab in the Shortcuts app. There you can create a new Automation that runs when you get a message. Select a person. Then add an action for the Hue Essentials app (search for Hue Essentials and configure an action)

There is also some information here: How do I use Siri Shortcuts?

Note that the premium version of Hue Essentials is required for the shortcuts.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Just added some steps about this here: How do I use Siri Shortcuts?

OK that semi-works. Seems I have to tap “Run” on my phone to get the automation to run? Can’t it run without me needing to press anything?

I found this information - Enable or disable a personal automation in Shortcuts on iPhone or iPad - Apple Support It looks like some automations cannot run automatically, and texts is one of them. Guess I’m SOL.

Unfortunately there is not much more I can do for you. It seems to be a limitation on iOS that you need to press run for this type of automation. Maybe Apple will change in the future.