Start timer from a switch

This is very cool news, and very timely as I was only just investigating options as I couldn’t find anything suitable in the Hue or Hue Essentials app yet.

1 Like

I tried setting up this auto off timer automation and successfully set it up, but it doesn’t appear you can associate an automation with the hue button. Is that correct or can someone point me to instructions on how to do this? I’m trying to just achieve a simple auto off timer for my espresso machine that I would turn on using a hue button associated with a hue plug. Here is a video of a competing Belkin Wemo solution that does exactly that. Tested: WiFi Timer Switch for Espresso Machines - YouTube

I would think hue as a leading competitor in this space would have a similar solution?

1 Like

@Sam Thanks for the feedback, this is something that will be improved soon. For now create an automation on the “Automation” tab. and use “External” as event, add actions, and save the automation. After that go to your smart control on the “Devices” tab and add the “Start automation” action selecting the automation you created earlier.

(note that this is only supported on Android/iOS at the moment, the Windows version is still missing the functionality to configure smart controls)

Please let me know if you have any questions. Very interested in feedback.

By the way, the following topic contains some information about the new automations: Automation in Hue Essentials

Thanks for your reply @Thomas, but these instructions don’t seem to be right. When I’m on the automations tab in the latest hue essentials iOS app version 4.17.0, the only thing I see is “wake up with light”, “coming home”, “leaving home”, timer” or “custom”, for the types of automations I can create. I tried both timer and custom, and neither of these have the ability to add an external event. They only allow you to add specific devices. And there is no “devices” tab at all in the app. Can you please provide specific instructions for the current version of the iOS app? Or is this auto off functionality that I see for Wemo outlets in this video not an option in hue? https://youtu.be/IzPqeXpQzHw

It looks like you are using the official Hue app. This community is about the Hue Essentials app. Hue Essentials is a third party app for Philips Hue lights which you can download from the App Store.

The new automations feature has not been released yet for all users, it will be available soon. If you want you can help test the feature by joining the beta program here: Join the beta - Try new features before they are officially released. Of course feedback on the new feature would be appreciated.