Start timer from a switch

Hello,

Is it possible to start a timer from a switch button ?

2 Likes

Hi, this is not possible at the moment. What would you like to do with a timer? On Philips Hue you can add an effect to a switch which may do what you want.

I would like to start a light and a ventilator when coming into a toilet and stop 10 minutes after the ventilator I have an osram plug

1 Like

I would like to trigger a timer from a switch, too: I would like a group of lights to dim down very slowly for a small kid to go to sleep (like a sunset) but the time changes every day, hence I would have to manually trigger it from a switch next to the bed instead of the phone. Is this technically possible? (running a phoscon bridge / raspbee 2)

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback! Sounds like a good idea. It is on the wish list for future development.

I am also urgently waiting for this function.
I have a staircase with three floors. I would like to install several switches that start the same timer that switches the light on and switches it off again when the timer is up.
In Germany this is called “Treppenhausschaltung” :wink:

1 Like

Hello
Same here : Staircase, with several lights. Kids always forget the lights on. i’ve been thinking of a sensor but would need several sensors, and the overcost is really too high. Plus the fact, it would trigger even when not needed, given the physical configuration.
Starting a timer with a switch would be perfect. I don’t see how hard it can be to be developed
THanks
Arno

1 Like

Hello,
Same here:
Starting a timer with a switch would be perfect to turn off my TV Beamer after the cool down phase.
Is there a new information when we can calculate with that update :slight_smile:
Best regards and thanks
Manu

1 Like

Hello. One more vote for this!
I want to turn on a light from a dimmer Switch and have that light turn off automatically after a set time. During this time the Dimmer Switch should work normally, ie I should be able to dim down or up the lights and the timer countdown shouldn’t be affected by this.

1 Like

Hi, I’m interrested too by this feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have 2 sensors (using Hue Labs Couple Sensor) that trigger lights to go on after movement. After 2 minutes lights are turned off. All fine…but I would like to press a switch button that will temporary disable the sensors and put the lights for an x-amount of minutes on a different scene.
Reason; sometimes I do some work sitting still at my desk so sensors wouldn’t see movement. To avoid leaving on the lights I want the previous mode (sensor controls the lights) to be active again after f.e. 15 or 20 minutes. So different case, but same need for a timer!

1 Like

I do see a pattern here on the forum; many wishes, lots of adding to a wishlist by Hue Essential but very little outcome in terms of implementations.

Curious to hear what effect you had in mind here and how to set it up? How does this effect work exactly? Might have useful scenarios for it. :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Fading scene from a switch button

Also interested about this.
Planning to use car heating with this.

Slow to set it up from a phone… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

One more from me:
Have a light in the guest toilet that my children always forget to switch off. So a “timed on” for maybe 30 min would be the solution.
And no: Installing a damn button is not the solution.
Can’t be too hard to program:

If switch changes status
Trigger counter
When counter ends do sth.

Probably every student can do this in a few minutes…

Is there any alternative SW that can do the trick right now?

Functionality in the Hue ecosystem lacks basic features (would be better if there were less mood settings and other crap and more basic functionality in development).

2 Likes

Any news? I’d like to be able to do the same and turn an extractor fan off after a set amount of time.

If I just join the fan to the lights, she would just leave the lights and the fan on and walk away, leaving it on for hours.

1 Like

Any news for this request?

I came for this too for the stair problem, but even this added to a wishlist 2 years ago, there is no info or anything from the developer. It’s sad.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am working on a solution for this which I expect to have ready within a few weeks.

A new feature called Automation will be added. There you will be able to configure delays between actions.

An automation can be started from a switch using a new action that will be added called “Start automation”. First create an automation in the automations tab at the bottom. As event use the “External” event. After saving the automation you can start it from a switch using the “Start automation” action.

In another future update the switch configuration will be replaced with the automation configuration once all features are available there. So then you can add wait actions directly on the switches.

All of the automation configuration is saved on the bridge, just like the switches.

The new update will be version 1.29.0 on Android and 1.21.0 on iOS.

1 Like