Make your own gradient lightstrip with diyHue

Oh wow.
Trying to wrap my head around all this info and differnt setups.

I just want to confirm some basics…

• I have existing REAL hue bridge with REAL Hue lights in an existing entertainment area
  • I can make my own hue strip
  • I can install diyhue on docker.
  • I link diyhue to real hue bridge
  • I link My HomeMade strip to diyhue
  • I can add HomeMade strip on DIYHUE to existing entertainment area on my real bridge with real hue bubls?!?!
  • I can haz cheeseburger and eat too?

Hi,
The Gradient_Strip_WS2812 has been deleted from GitHub?
I can’t find it anywhere.

Hi @Maqueda, thanks for letting me know. Please use the following sketch: Gradient_TV_Strip_WS2812.ino

Ohhh,
Thanks for the support !!!

Its strict need to use diyHue to link up stip, or if I have a bridge, I can use it.
The arduino code works perfect.

@Maqueda you need to setup diyHue to connect the strip to Hue Essentials.

@TRusselo you cannot add the diyHue lightstrip to a real Hue bridge. However, it is possible to control both in Hue Essentials in a single entertainment program.

What you need to do is create two entertainment areas. One on your real Hue bridge with real Hue lights. And another entertainment area on diyHue with the diy lightstrip. Then you can select both entertainment areas in Hue Essentials from both bridges. So you can use the Hue Essentials programs like Sync, Dance Sensation, or Police lights, on both bridges simultaneously. Let me know if you have any questions.

Just to confirm. @Thomas will this work on a Phillips TV with existing ambiance lights? In my TV I have the ambiance on the sides. I want to add strips on bottom and top. Will it work, the nixed setup of original and DIY LEDs?

I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Hue Essentials does not interact with the built-in ambilight setup. You just need an Android TV which has good enough performance to handle it.

Thank you for your reply. After my project will end I’ll post update. Will use Chromecast 4 and Raspberry 1 B as a hub.

Are you talking about the “Chromecast with Google TV”? That device has known performance issues when watching videos with Hue Essentials sync running. Running Hue Essentials directly on your Philips TV may work better, but that is hard to say without more details. See also: Sync (Entertainment) on your phone or Android TV

Yes, exactly the same device. Will test it as there is no return to Android TV (bought the TV in 2017, it was laggy after one year).

Hi,

just ordered the Stripe and power adapter. STill had some D1 Minis at home…
When compiling the INO-File, it seems like it´s not working with NexoPixelBus v2.7. Compilation only wordked with 2.6.9.

Will continue playing around as soon as shipment arrives… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shipping arrived and all worked well. THX A LOT for the great tutorial!!

One (maybe stupid) question: As the lightstrip is configured in 7 different divisions, I´m asking myself how I could configure those divisions by myself… via the website I can only change the MAIN color, not the 7 different divisions…

Thx,

Christian

1 Like

Great to hear you got it all working! For setting the seven colours: open Hue Essentials, tap a room with your light, and tap on your light. Now you should see a colour picker where you can set a single colour. On the third tab you can set multiple colours on the gradient. Let me know if that works for you.

Thx @Thomas for your reply and all the effort you made!!
I found the 3rd Tab and after understanding the color-bar on top, I was able to manage… :slight_smile:

What´s somehow wondering myself is that not always all section are changing its color. But after clicking the area a second time, it works (most times). Maybe my stripe is not the best one… :slight_smile:

Other question: Is there a way to change the different divisions via API / the website of the stripe?

THX!!!

I think you should be able to set multiple colours for the segments directly on the strip IP, but I am not sure. For an API, I suggest you to take a look at the strip IP or look at the source code of the strip firmware. Alternatively you can control it using diyHue which is similar to the Hue API (both v1 and v2 APIs).

Hi, I stumbled across this post searching google to make diy hue gradient lamps. Can I use this in conjunction with cob LED strips or do I need to use the WS2812B?? I’m looking for max brightness with the strips so I can use them along side my play gradient strips on my tv. Thanks.

Hi, is there (in the meantime) any way to build a gradient lightstrip using an ESP32-WROOM chip (on a QuinLED-dig-uno board) and a WS2812B lightstrip connected to it?

I found a ino file in the github and have added the ESP32 board and libaries in Arduino IDE but can’t get it working. Any suggestions or is the ESP32 chip still a No-Go for building a gradient lightstrip with diyHue?

Its possible to use the diy Stripe with a original Bridge ?