Motion sensor triggers light even though conditions are not met

Hi experts

I have been using my Philips Hue setup for 5+ years now without any problems.

Recently it was required to sign in with your Hue account in the Hue app to continue using the system. Not sure if it related but ever since signing in I have had problems with my motion sensor triggering the lights to turn on even though the conditions for sensitivity during daylight has not been met.

I have been in contact with the Philips Hue customer support but their advices have all been useless. They asked me to buy a new motion sensor, reset the sensor, delete the bulps connected to the sensor, etc. but none of it have helped. I have even tried removing all devices, resetted the Hue bridge to factory default and deleted the bridge from my Hue account - only to find the exact same behavior after setting everything up again.

I have noticed that if I change the settings of the motion sensor it will work for a day - next day it will turn on the lights again regardless of the light conditions.

Any ideas on what is causing this other than a software error? I have asked customer support to get in touch with an engineer or more technical staff but that is apparently not possible.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same issue. My setup functioned seamlessly for several years. However, following a recent update and the new requirement to sign in to my Hue account, all my motion sensors now activate upon detecting motion, even when the lighting conditions should prevent this. I’ve observed, similar to your experience, that the sensors seem to operate correctly for a day after I modify and save a setting, but then the problem recurs the next day. Unfortunately, Hue support is terrible in resolving this issue.

So you never got it solved either?

All support is saying is that I should get a new motion sensor (which I already did) or reset the sensor (which I also did and even made a factory reset of the entite system). They then wanted me to take a photo of the sensor - not really sure what they can see out of a photo (?)

Nope, not solved yet which makes my whole setup at least partly useless.

So you bought a new sensor but still the same behavior? Did you report that?

I don’t think they can get anything out a photo.

Yes - I bought a new sensor as they requested me to and the exact same thing happens with the sensor - and after that I did a complete reset of the system setting up everything from scratch - only to learn that it did not do any difference at all.

I reported this and they requested me to reset the sensor (!) As this did not do any difference they wanted a photo of where it is mounted - but it is a the exact same place as it has been for more than three years. The answer was then that the new sensor also must have a hardware failure.

Still no useful answer from Philips Hue on this topic. They send me a new motion sensor free of charge but the exact same behavior occurred (as expected).

However I have tried to connect the Hue Bridge to my Apple HomeKit bridge (an Apple TV). I have then removed the lights associated with the motion sensor in the Hue app and instead setup a rule in HomeKit that mimics the same behaviour as in the Hue system (if motion is detected within a specified time range and the light conditions are below 50 lux then turn on the lights). Here it works fine and as it did when the trigger was configured in the Hue.

So I guess it is fair to say that a hardware failure can be ruled out and it must be a firmware/software issue. I have send my findings to the Hue support but no response.

I have been using my Philips Hue setup in 3 houses for 5+ years now without any problems. (2x in Australia and 1x in Germany)

Recently it was required to sign in with the new Hue account system in the Hue app to continue using the system. Since signing in I have continued problems with my motion sensors triggering the lights to turn on even when the setup sensitivity during daylight is not met.

Several people with the same issue have been obviously in contact with the Philips Hue customer support but their advice have all been seen useless so far. People were asked to buy a new motion sensor, reset the sensor, delete the bulps connected to the sensor, etc. but none of it have solved the issue. Removing all devices, resetting the Hue bridge to factory default and deleting the bridge from my Hue account - only to find the exact same behavior after a fresh new setup.

I have noticed that if I change the settings of the motion sensor it will work for a few hours or so, but soon it will turn on the lights again regardless of the light conditions.

There must be a glitch in the recently introduced software as it was working flawlessly since the updated login request.? Btw, using a 3rd party app on IOS, called “hueDynamic” doesn’t trigger this problem as described above. Unfortunately, “hue Dynamic” let me select only one Room instead of a Zone.

Dear Hue team please fix this issue as a matter of urgency!!! I have about 70+ bulbs, 20+ sensors and 3 Bridges in all of my houses and they behave all the same now - very annoying!!!

Mid March and the problem is still there - every morning the same routine: “darling, your lights went on again, I just switched them off!” Since the app reports daylight levels correctly, the sensor must be ok. The rule engine is in the bridge - something is wrong there; probably a recent change to the rule Engine / Bridge broke the daylight behavior. I had another strange issue some years back with randomly changing light behavior, it took the team about half a year to fix. Best is to be patient and not listening to the advice of buying new sensors;-)

1 Like

I have the same issue although haven’t tried replacing any sensors (and I won’t now!). Lights in my hallway just randomly turn on during the evening or even in the middle of the night when nobody triggers the sensor.

Exactly the same experience and it drives me crazy. Lights are on continuously for nothing. Worked for years without any issues, using both old and new sensors (no difference).

What I do notice is that I have dual hub set-up. One hub for the ground floor and one hub for the rest of the house. The hub on the ground floor is connected to the Hue-account and is accessible from the outside. The issue is with that hub because the sensors on the other hub have no issue at all.

There must be a relation.

Same probleme here! Really annoying :grimacing:

The light level settings of the motion sensor seems to be ignored after manually switching off the lights after the light was turned on by the sensor before.

I can confirm that this works for a while after changing the sensor’s configuration.