How to set up Power-on behaviour for my lights?

You can configure the power-on behaviour for your lights. This setting is applied after a power cut. Power-on behaviour is only supported on Philips Hue lights on a Philips Hue bridge and requires the latest software update.

If you power on/off your light twice, while waiting a few seconds in between, it returns to bright. This cannot be changed.

Where can I find Power-on behaviour?

1. In Hue Essentials go to the devices tab at the bottom
  2. Select your light
  3. Here you can configure the Power-on behaviour for your light.

What are the settings I can choose?

Bright

When your light becomes powered, it will set your lights to Bright. Max brightness and white colour. This is the default behaviour.

Return to previous state

When your light becomes powered, it will restore to the previous state. If your light was off before the power cut, it will stay off. If your light was on, it will restore to the previous colour/brightness.

Switch on to previous state

When your light becomes powered, it will switch on and restore to the previous colour/brightness. This option is similar to Return to previous state, but the difference is that this will always switch on the light, even if your light was off before the power cut.

Custom

You can select a custom colour/brightness for your light. When your light becomes powered, it will switch on to your custom colour/brightness.

2 Likes

I really have to wonder if the engineers working on the Hue software actually live with these lights? Automatically turning to full bright by default makes no sense if someone has purposefully change them to a different color/brightness. Why would this not be the default?

2 Likes

Hi. Just bought some Hue bubbles and stick to color after disconnecting works only once, on the second unplug / replug, it gets back to standard white, any idea why? Thanks a lot. Stefen.

This is a blantant lie, return to previous state only works ONCE, it doesnt return to that state every time, custom does NOTHING, and changing the default isnt even possible. Why do I ahve to use the app every single time? I want the light to turn on to a specific setting every time I pull my lamp switch, why is this not possible??

1 Like

Considered changing all my house bulbs to Hue but reading things like this made me really reconsider. Is it true that there is no way to set a PERMANENT default power-on setting?