Set up Hue motion sensor to toggle lights on motion and toggle other lights on light level

Hi all, Got various Hue lights all working fine with my 2nd gen bridge. Bought 4 Hue Appear outdoor lights (the up/down wall wash lights) and a floodlight last week and just installed them all. All working fine but now incorporating an outdoor sensor. What I am hoping to achieve is to use the outdoor sensor light sensor to turn on the wall lights when it gets to a certain darkness (i know i can use sunset/sunrise but want to use the sensor as will be more accurate). But i also want to use the same sensor to turn on my driveway floodlight (again a hue product) when motion detected but using the same light settings. Any ideas? At the moment i can set the wall lights to come on at a certain darkness setting but it will also turn on the floodlight. They are in different zones by the way. I am sure it can be done but missing something simple…any ideas? thanks in advance

Your request should be possible, please follow the following instructions. Let me know if you have any questions.

First reset your sensor to clear any previous settings:

1. In Hue Essentials, go tot the devices tab
  2. Select your motion sensor
  3. Tap the Wizard button
  4. Tap Reset

Now configure your sensor to turn on your driveway floodlight when motion is detected:

1. In Hue Essentials, go tot the devices tab
  3. Tap the Wizard button
  4. Tap Set up
  5. Select your Driveway floodlight group
  6. Select scenes for day and night and times if needed
  7. Select Dim & switch off
  8. (optional) Configure the daylight sensitivity: tap the three dots, tap Daylight sensitivity

See also: Device state automations (smart switches, motion sensors, lights, and plugs)

Now configure your motion light sensor to turn on the wall lights when it is dark (so without motion)

1. In Hue Essentials, go to the devices tab
  3. Tap the three dots at the top
  4. Tap Light level
  5. Select Less than
  6. Enter the light level in Lux (lx) when the wall lights should turn on
  7. Add an action to switch on your wall lights
  8. Now change Less than to Greater than and keep the light level the same value
  9. Add an action to switch off your wall lights

See also: Light level measurement from motion sensor as variable in other rules? - #3 by Thomas

Hi, this is very helpful. When I try to add an action based on the light level, in the 3rd set of steps above, it takes me to the upgrade page (android). Which of the individual upgrades do I need? Thanks

Hello Dave, you need the Premium package or the Automation package (included in premium) for the steps above.