How to configure a Hue motion sensor so lights are only switched on when dark?

Not sure where this post should go, so mods feel free to move it.

I have a v2 Bridge, an indoor motion sensor and 3 x Gui10 White / Colour Ambiance type Bulbs in our “Hall”

So our hall can get quite dark, due to weather conditions & lack of window light, any time during the day.

Therefore I do not want to use any scene/routine that is timer related.

I am struggling to get Hue to cater for the following in our hall ;

when the hall is bright, the lights are off & do nothing if motion is detected.

When the hall is dark & no motion detected - lights are off

when the hall is dark & motion is detected – turn the lights on & after 1 min the lights turn off

Although within the Hue App\Settings\Accessory Setup

there’s Day behaviour time frame options and Night Behaviour options, this won’t allow what I want or am I missing something

(which I feel I am, one or two neurons that is !!)

1 Like

Hello Gerry,
this is certainly possible in Hue Essentials.

In Hue Essentials, go to the devices tab, and select your motion sensor. Then tap the wizard button at the bottom, select a group (Hall). Now select a day scene (for example Bright), and a night scene (could be the same scene, or another one like Dimmed). For the times you could just use the defaults for now. As action for No motion, select Dim & switch off.

Now your motion sensor is configured. The scenes are only activated when movement is detected during darkness. You can adjust the daylight sensitivity if needed, tap the three dots at the top, and select Daylight sensitivity. Drag the slider to adjust sensitivity.

On the no motion tab you can select after how much time the lights switch off when there is no motion anymore.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Ahh, thx a mil for replying, I’ll give that a go later…cheers

Thought I’d have a go at adjusting the settings, while I’m at work, and it appears that HueEssentials App cannot access the Hue Bridge away from home??

You first need to sign in with your Philips Hue account to control your lights away from home, see: How can I control my lights while away from home?

Note that while away from home functionality is limited. For example, configuring a motion sensor can still only be done when connected on your local network at home.

Hey Thomas, really appreciate the spot-on advice - got the situation in the hall sorted as per your settings, cheers…

That’s great to hear!