Sync (Entertainment) on your phone or Android TV

I have the same problem as @Jacopo_Volpin — no matter the intensity, the flickering exists and is not the same behaviour if used with the sync box. I tried so many things to figure out why this might be happening. I am using a Play Gradient Strip (latest version) and bought the app specifically to use the sync functionality with my Shield Pro. Is there any way I can help you track down this issue?

Managed to upload a sample video — here you go:

Link to video

You can see that at high intensity the flickering/strobing effect is at its worst — but does not completely disappear when at lowest intensity.

Hi,

I’ve paid for “Entertaiment” upgrade on my android phone, then I have installed app on android TV, but I can’t use Entertaiment there (only 30 sec demo). It asks me for an upgrade. When I go to upgrade menu on Android TV i can’t see option to buy only Entertaiment package. What shoul I do?

can we get a “start light sync” activity?

And a “stop light sync” too would be awesome.

having these activities will allow for scripts and automations.
and allow me to send curl commands from Home Assistant to my Sony Bravia AndroidTV

For HassIO you can use the ADB Shell command to start / stop the sync.

This is my Automation to start sync when my TV turns on:

alias: Wohnzimmer - TV Ambilight Einschalten
description: “”
trigger:

• platform: state
    entity_id:
    • binary_sensor.wohnzimmer_tv_ping
      for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 15
      to: “on”
      condition: []
      action:
  • service: androidtv.adb_command
    data:
    command: >-
    am broadcast -a com.superthomaslab.hueessentials.START_ENTERTAINMENT -e
    BRIDGE_ID ECB5FAFFFE047AFA -e GROUP_ID 8 -e ENTERTAINMENT_PROGRAM sync
    com.superthomaslab.hueessentials
    target:
    device_id: d00cb80fe1afb41b160b5d2f354cb96a
    mode: single

I use a Ping sensor to check if my TV turns on, when yes send the ADB Command.
You will have to change the Bridge and Group ID.

1 Like

might want to edit your hub ID above for security

what command are you using to STOP?
same but change START to STOP?

Note for Others: i found my Hub ID and group ID in Hue Essentials app, “API explorer” section.

Is there a similar option to adjust brightness with an adb_command? That would be amazing…

Hello @Thomas I’ve just purchased Hue Essentials but I can’t get start Sync.

I’m running Sheield Pro with Hue Bridge and set of Hue Color bulbs. I can configure new entertainment zone, assign it to Sync but whenever I’m clicking “Start” sync I’m geting popup about streaming. I’m accepting conditions and nothing happens. Start button is still present.

I can run any other scene but not “Sync”. How can I troubleshoot?

I had the same problem on my Shield TV. I got the Start button working after I set up the entertainment area on my phone first, it then appeared in the Shield and the Start button started responding.
Give it a shot.

1 Like

Hello,

I have an android TV box xiaomi S2, and sync not work with youtube, prime, … I have read that it’s a problem with DRM, and they are not a solution or I haven’t found a workaround.

When I have tested Hue essential on my phone, I have see that it’s possible to use the camera of phone. Perhaps that on the hue essential on box, I have the same option, … I try to plug my webcam on usb, but the option camera not aper on hue essential ? It s’ not detected ? but I thinks that no, I have try an other application to show the flux of the webcam on usb, and the webcam it is ok !

Is there a solution to use the webcam over usb with hue sync in android tv ?

Thanks

After I had to delete my Hue Essentials app, similar to this, I too am now facing the problem again of the Sync Entertainment Start button not responding on the Hue Essentials app on my Nvidia Shield. I tried my own advice multiple times as I explained here, but it does not work.

This is really frustrating when the Sync starts perfectly fine on my Android phone as well as my Microsoft PC, but I need it and only care for it to work on my Nvidia Shield.

Even more frustrating when we’ve purchased the upgrade and the user experience is not consistent.

Can we please get some help here?

Update: I finally was able to start the Sync program: I cleared the data from the HE app on the Shield, went through the setup again where it found the diyHue bridge.

Still outstanding to solve: the ADB command to start the sync program does not work unless the HE app is the active app. I’m sure this was working in previous releases.